11.21.2009

not a single thing

the problem is, i haven't found my calling yet, even at twenty-seven.

nearly everyone i know is great at something; i'm kind of good at some things, but don't excel at a single thing. i'm indecisive about further schooling because i can't narrow down my interests into a specific field. i don't see myself doing any one thing for the rest of my life. it's why i thought i would die early, because i never saw my future self, never dreamed of what my life would be like in the near or distant future. i still can't picture it.

this wasn't a problem ten years ago, but it's becoming a problem now.

3 comments:

J said...

i feel the same way. i am feeling young and mobile lately. i am going to LA to chill around and try to find some work on set in january. then i want to work for room & board on an organic farm. then i am considering going to school for forestry. i think we have to get out and experience things we would not normally consider to get a slice of the proverbial perspective pie. i am not considering my lack of "a calling" a problem, but maybe a privilege b/c it's more time to explore. it's hard to envision this when everyone around you seems more rooted, but i think some of us will have to use much energy to find where we want to be.

Anonymous said...

i know what you mean. i think you're great. i think you'll figure it out. but don't let a number dictate when that should be happening. you've got good things going on now. just enjoy life. i hate to see you sad.

Corie said...

I like to think that you are BADASS at a lot of things. Namely, being awesome. That's how I see it.

And though I have never been very good at musical instruments, your stunning use of rockband makes me believe that people speak the truth when they say you're good at guitaring.

Also you're awesome at being secretly lame while I'm outwardly lame.

These are all very serious endeavors. Kind of like the westcoast hiking trip we shall soon take.


Mmmmmm. Forksy.

My verification word is Lings. I think I will work on our BLOG.